Canada Flag

If your future includes an RV vacation to Canada, you need to be aware of some factors that could have an impact on your travel.

When you enter Canada, you must have proof of citizenship and identity (A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or Nexus card).  If you don’t have these documents, you can show a Driver’s License (or other government-issued photo ID) and proof of U.S. citizenship (birth or naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport).  Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.  When returning to the U.S. from Canada, please note that if you are traveling by air, you must have a U.S. passport.  (For entry by land or sea, the described documents for entry will suffice).  The only exception is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need carry only a birth or naturalization certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), or consular report of birth abroad.  Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.  If you plan to travel to Canada with a minor who is not your own child or for whom you do not have full legal custody, you may be required to present a notarized affidavit of consent from the minor’s parents.   There is no specific form for this document, but it should include dates of travel, parents’ names and photo copies of their state-issued IDs.

Anyone with a criminal record (including misdemeanors or Driving While Impaired (DWI) – no matter how old or how minor the infraction) may be barred from entering Canada and must obtain a special waiver well in advance of any planned travel.  If the infraction occurred more than five years ago, travel is generally granted, but the waiver is required.

U.S. domestic health insurance is not accepted by Canadian health providers, and Medicare coverage does not extend outside the United States. Visitors who seek any medical attention in Canada should be prepared to pay cash in full at the time the service is rendered. For this reason, traveler’s medical insurance is highly recommended, even for brief visits.

Be aware that some provinces require drivers to keep their vehicles’ headlights on during the day and some have banned driving while using a hand-held cell phone.   Travelers should be cautious of deer, elk and moose while driving at night in rural areas.