Banff & Jasper
Check It Out!
Our Favorite Documentaries
Books – Non-Fiction
Books – Fiction
For Younger Readers
Family Friendly Movies for Tweens and Teens
- Principal photography took place in Canmore, Alberta, which doubled for several American towns
- The Crew spent 4 days shooting at Fortress Mountain Resort in Kananaskis
- The Rock got nostalgic on his Instagram stories about starting his journey in Calgary as a professional football player!
- Based on the true story of the Jamaican Olympic Bobsled team at the Calgary Olympics in 1988
- You can still see the famous Jamaican bobsled at WinSport in Calgary
- Downtown Calgary made the perfect stand in for the Metropolis skyline
- The top of the Calgary Tower offers a chance to see Clark Kent’s perspective of where the prairies and the mountains meet
- The recognizable facade of the St. Louis Hotel in East Village can be seen
- Filmed partly in Alberta, involving a handful of communities including Nanton, Longview and Lethbridge
- The sandstorm/baseball field scene was filmed at Seaman Stadium in Okotoks
- Additional dust storm scenes were filmed in Fort Macleod
- Shot in Kananaskis Country using only natural light
- Director Alejandro González Iñárritu involved indigenous cultural experts in the filmmaking process
- Filmed almost entirely in the Rockies of Calgary and the Calgary Metropolitan Area
- Mount Lougheed near Canmore as well as Fortress and Moose Mountain were composed to create the main peak featured in the movie
- Multiple camp scenes shot in Goat Creek, Upper Kananaskis Lake and Elbow Falls
- The list doesn’t stop there – other scenes were filmed in Cowley, Fort MacLeod and Calgary, which includes Ranchman’s Cookhouse and Dancehall
- Filmed in Banff National Park, the small town set was also built outside of Canmore, AB
- Battle scenes were shot near Morley, west of Calgary
- Ludlow’s ranch was set in the Ghost River Wilderness area
- Bow River near Banff was the set for the funeral and cemetery scenes
Television Shows and Series
- Direwolf, Ghost, was an Alertan wolf called Quigley with some of his scenes being filmed in Calgary
- Arya Stark and the wolves filmed several scenes in Banff
RVs on Screen
Ultimate Road Trip Playlists
We’ve curated a handful of Spotify playlists to pair perfectly with your travels!
Famous Musicians From Canada
Gear We Love
Consider searching this out at your destination. A grill makes for a full camping experience!
These are a must have for campfire nights! You can roast hot dogs and marshmallows all night long on these!
These are great for exploring. Give one to your kids (make sure you test it first). Then off they go!
Bring some of these solar or battery-powered lights and hang them around your campsite…instant style for the environment!
If you can find the set with connectors and headbands, you can make all sorts of wearable glow items – it will be easier to find each other at night!
These are a must. Get a fresh pack, wait for night time around the campfire. Pop one in your mouth and crunch/grind it with your mouth open. You are in for a surprise! Trust us 🙂
Put them on the back bumper – and hang bathing suits to dry. Just remember to bring them in before you drive away!
You can use this to charge your phone or run low-power devices on household (AC) current without running the generator or plugging into shore power. (More on all of that in your Adventure Kit!)