Lake Tahoe & Yosemite
Check It Out!
Our Favorite Documentaries
Books – Non-Fiction
Books – Fiction
For Younger Readers
Family Friendly Movies for Tweens and Teens
- Classic Robin Williams comedy. He called Tiburon (in Marin County) his home – and the tunnel from the Golden Gate bridge over to Marin County is named in his honor.
- This movie was set and filmed entirely in San Francisco – you will see plenty of famous locations.
- You can check out the Hillard family home at 2640 Steiner Street in Pacific Heights and enjoy the incredible view down Steiner to the Bay!
- This film dramatizes the real 1962 prisoner escape from the maximum security prison on Alcatraz Island.
- Alcatraz was closed shortly after the true events on which the film was based.
- Much of this movie was filmed on location on Alcatraz Island.
- Producers paid $500,000 to restore the decaying prison. Many improvements remain intact after filming.
- The Cartwright family lived on the Ponderosa Ranch near Lake Tahoe, and parts of Bonanza were filmed on its shores.
- The famous opening scene of Bonanza was filmed on location at North Lake Tahoe near Incline Village.
- In October 2020 – the Ponderosa Ranch property – which is 24 acres – was sold for $38 Million!
- Another movie filmed mostly on Alcatraz Island. Since the Island is now part of the National Park Service – the production could not shut it down – and filming had to be done around crowds of tourists.
- The scene where Womback is thrown off the balcony – was filmed at the Fairmont Hotel. Filming led to multiple calls to the hotel out of concern for a man hanging from a balcony!
- This award winning film is based on the life of gay rights activist Harvey Milk, who was the first openly gay person to be elected to public office in California – to the San Franscisco Board of Supervisors
- Much of this was filmed on Castro St., including Milk’s former storefront – Castro Camera.
- Set in the City’s Financial District. It’s such a busy section of the city – that filming was done mostly on weekends in order to have more control.
- The scene where the taxi drives into the San Francisco Bay was near the Embarcadero.
- Some notable filming locations, Golden Gate Park, The Presidio, and the famous Filoli Mansion (located in Woodside). San Francisco Airport even makes an appearance!
- This was shot almost entirely in San Francisco
- The story is drawn from the real life case of the Zodiac Killer, a notorious serial killer who operated in Northern California. The film’s character seeks out a similar vicious psychopath.
- Many well known spots can be seen – City Hall, the Hall of Justice, Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, Lombard Street, and Kezar Stadium to name a few.
RVs on Screen
Ultimate Road Trip Playlists
We’ve curated a handful of Spotify playlists to pair perfectly with your travels!