Big Sur, Sequoia & Yosemite
Check It Out!
Our Favorite Documentaries
Books – Non-Fiction
Lary Dilsaver; William Tweed
Dr. Stephen R Palumbi & Carolyn Sotka MA
Books – Fiction
For Younger Readers
Family Friendly Movies for Tweens and Teens
- Classic Steve McQueen film shot almost entirely in San Francisco
- Known for one the all time best car chases in a film! The scene lasts over 10 min and starts at Fisherman’s Wharf, takes you through the city past Coit Tower, and ends up at the Guadalupe Canyon Parkway in Brisbane.
- Funny tidbit – the chase scene has been mapped out and proven geographically impossible to take place in real time
- Classic Robin Williams comedy. He called Tiburon (in Marin County) his home – and the tunnel from the Golden Gate bridge over to Marin County is named in his honor.
- This movie was set and filmed entirely in San Francisco – you will see plenty of famous locations.
- You can check out the Hillard family home at 2640 Steiner Street in Pacific Heights and enjoy the incredible view down Steiner to the Bay!
- This film dramatizes the real 1962 prisoner escape from the maximum security prison on Alcatraz Island.
- Alcatraz was closed shortly after the true events on which the film was based.
- Much of this movie was filmed on location on Alcatraz Island.
- Producers paid $500,000 to restore the decaying prison. Many improvements remain intact after filming.
- Another movie filmed mostly on Alcatraz Island. Since the Island is now part of the National Park Service – the production could not shut it down – and filming had to be done around crowds of tourists.
- The scene where Womback is thrown off the balcony – was filmed at the Fairmont Hotel. Filming led to multiple calls to the hotel out of concern for a man hanging from a balcony!
- This award winning film is based on the life of gay rights activist Harvey Milk, who was the first openly gay person to be elected to public office in California – to the San Franscisco Board of Supervisors
- Much of this was filmed on Castro St., including Milk’s former storefront – Castro Camera.
- Set in the City’s Financial District. It’s such a busy section of the city – that filming was done mostly on weekends in order to have more control.
- The scene where the taxi drives into the San Francisco Bay was near the Embarcadero.
- Some notable filming locations, Golden Gate Park, The Presidio, and the famous Filoli Mansion (located in Woodside). San Francisco Airport even makes an appearance!
- This was shot almost entirely in San Francisco
- The story is drawn from the real life case of the Zodiac Killer, a notorious serial killer who operated in Northern California. The film’s character seeks out a similar vicious psychopath.
- Many well known spots can be seen – City Hall, the Hall of Justice, Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul, Lombard Street, and Kezar Stadium to name a few.
- Filmed mostly in and around a house in the Carmel Highlands
- Garrapata Beach is featured in their escapades, as is Ford Ord Dunes State Park.
- You can also see Monterey’s Fisherman’s Wharf, the Harbour and the Restaurant Massaro & Santos
- The segment by Bixby Bridge where someone gets sea sick – was scripted and supposed to be fake – however 1 hour into the boat ride and with cameras rolling – he did it for real!
- This HBO show is set and filmed in Monterey
- Bixby Bridge is one of the most iconic parts of the show. The characters spend a lot of time going back and forth over the bridge (school pick-up, drop-off, to their favorite cafe, etc).
- This is a little bit of a Hollywood stretch, the bridge is located about 30 minutes south of Monterey.
- The Monterey Bay Aquarium has a big role. One of the main characters works there in Season 2.
- Lovers Point, the park and the beach, figured prominently as a setting for Season 1. It returns as a pretty backdrop in Season 2, most notably as the place where the Monterey Five’s new coffee spot, the Blissful Drip Cafe, is located. The show’s creators built the set on location and actually served coffee—they then donated the set to the town when filming wrapped.
RVs on Screens
Ultimate Road Trip Playlists
We’ve curated a handful of Spotify playlists to pair perfectly with your travels!